Welcome to the 26th Bristol Scout Group

A very warm welcome to the 26th Bristol (North Cote) Scout Group, one of the largest Scout Groups in the Avon Area. The reputation of the Group has been built up over nearly 100 years. The facilities we offer today are second to none and the dedication of our uniformed leaders and members of the Executive Committee match that quality. The 26th is an 'open' group, it is not related to another organisation (e.g a church) and is naturally co-educational. The 26th has three Beaver Colonies, two Cub Packs, two Scout Troops and has a resident District Explorer unit.  We would like you all to feel welcome at the 26th and to enjoy being part of the Northcote experience.

 

Read more...
 
About the 26th

26th Bristol (Northcote) Scout Group,

Northcote, Great Brockeridge, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, BS9 3TY

Map

Sectional meeting times

Hiring Northcote Hall

Contact us

Group reg no 01325, Charity reg no 302156

 
Purpose of Scouting

The purpose of Scouting is to promote the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social, and spiritual potentials, as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities.

The scout method provides an enjoyable and attractive scheme of progressive training based on the Scout Promise and Law,  It's best seen when young people are:
·         Enjoying what they are doing
·         Learning by doing
·         Participating in varied and progressive activities
·         Making choices for themselves
·         Taking responsibility for their own actions
·         Working in groups
·         Taking responsibility for others
·         Taking part in outdoor activities
·         Sharing prayer and worship
·         Making and living their promise

 
History of 26th

The story of the Group begins in the summer of 1910 when the village lads formed themselves into a gang, tied a rope around their waists and equipped with a broomstick went out into the surrounding fields and woods (now the Henbury golf links) and practiced this Scouting game they had read about. 

At that time the meeting place was the village green in Westbury-on-Trym (where the War Memorial now stands). The Scoutmaster was Mr C H H Castle, who lived with his parents at a house called North Cote, which is now part of Badminton School.  The Troop, originally named the 26th St Albans, was registered January 1911. The Castle family owned the North Cote estate and the Troop soon established themselves on the smallest of the fields.  The first hut was soon built and the present Headquarters stands on the same site. Shortly after, the name was officially changed to the “26th Bristol (North Cote)”.
The “North Cote” estate was progressively developed for housing, but on Mrs. Castle’s death, what was left of the “smallest field” was donated to the Bristol Scout Association, "for the use of the North Cote Group”.  Eventually, in 1957, the Group purchased the land for £530. The original wooden hut was then extensively rebuilt and enlarged. 

By 1968 preliminary sketches of a new HQ had already been produced, with initial costs estimated at £15,000.  The cost of the new building continued to rise, but on St. Valentine’s Day 1974 the old hut was demolished, and in May 1975 the new building was officially opened. The Group, in addition to several grants, had to borrow a considerable amount to fund the new building. In March 1979 the GSL’s “New Headquarters” file (opened in May 1972) was formally closed as the Building Fund went into credit, with a simple statement “Headquarters paid for”. The final cost was £47,000. 

When Northcote was built the Group consisted of a large Cub Pack and a large Scout Troop.  With these new facilities the Group continued to expand, and has more than trebled in size and now offers Scouting to girls and boys, from six to eighteen in seven sections.